Thursday, July 26, 2012

Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition: My Thoughts.

The Unspeakable Oath has a post up about the upcoming Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition.  It looks like, unlike 6th Edition, which basically took 5th Edition and relaid it out in a nearly unreadable font, that this will be a major rewrite.

I like a few of the proposed changes.  Removing Fast-Talk and adding Charm and Intimidate seems like a good idea.  CofC has cried out for the need for an Intimidate skill for a while.

I'm lukewarm on the characteristic changes, though I think the old Characteristic x Multiplier was hardly a difficult thing to get used to.

I really, really don't like the changes to Luck.  I personally loathe excess resource management in games.  Too wargamey for me most times.  If I want players to spend points out of a pool, I might as well go pick up Trail of Cthulhu.  This change is a tough sell, and likely would be the first thing I house ruled out.

The changes to the Idea roll sounds like a great idea.

Frankly, there's not enough information about Sanity for me to talk about, but I do like the sound of constantly tagging back to the same indefinite insanity you developed earlier.

Anyway, I'll probably pick up 7th Ed when it comes out...how much I run it depends on what it looks like when Chaosium gets done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment